Community & Wellbeing Officer

Represents students on issues affecting their wellbeing; such as health, finance, accommodation and security, as well as wider community issues. The Community and Wellbeing Officer is key to ensuring that students from a range of backgrounds and minority groups are represented within the University. They also ensure that students are represented fairly within the local community, liaising with both town and parish council officials.

The Results

The Candidates

Kelly Balmer

(she/her)
  • Addressing the social and policy-related issues surrounding sexual violence within the University of York, YUSU, and the student community. 
  • Lobbying for regular and structured feedback from students to help improve and develop the processes and services students access while at York. 
  • To highlight students’ financial difficulties while addressing concerns surrounding rent, maintenance loans, and additional costs students face.

Your Babe Rokas

(he/him)
  • Mental health and wellbeing: wellbeing skills course for all students and more feedback on Open Door services.
  • Accommodation: #RentRant, more reduced rent rooms on campus and fair private accommodation.
  • Finance: accessible hardship funds and financial support for EU and international students.

Rebecca Wilcockson

(she/her)
  • I want to improve the mental health services on campus, in particular Open Door.
  • I also want to introduce termly Mental Health fairs.
  • I also want to ensure that I am actively  listening to students feedback.

Charlotte Ingrey

(they/them)
  • Prioritise pandemic support.
  • Increase focus on student-led campaigns. 
  • Reduce barriers and improve access to support and wellbeing services.

Abby Pullen

(they/them)
  • Holding businesses accountable for decisions that negatively impact students, to ensure the wellbeing of everyone in the UoY community.
  • Launching and continuing fun but useful events to improve wellbeing and bring together on-campus and off-campus students.
  • Working on mental health provisions at the University by interacting directly with students to ensure each student has a consistently good and helpful experience.