Women and Non-Binary Students’ Officer

Women and Non-Binary Students’ Officers have driven campus events and created change to benefit the lives of women and non-binary students. Through events, campaigns and lobbying, the Women’s Officers represent self-defining women and non-binary people on campus. They also lead the Women and Non-Binary Students’ Network which is supported by a committee.

The Results

The Candidates

Izzy Andrews

(she/her or they/them)
  • As someone who uses she/they pronouns and identifies as gender non-conforming, I believe that the university should provide more safe spaces for gender exploration, such as an established non-binary/genderqueer society backed by and promoted by the students union.
  • I have a passion for women and nonbinary rights in traditionally male settings, and strive to work in a field to encourage gender equality, as I have always held the opinion that all people should be treated with respect and fairness, specifically in an educational setting. To ensure that the university is upheld to high standards, I would encourage the university to publish its gender statistics to allow the relevant officers to make decisions about the future based on the facts.
  • I believe that the university should be encouraged to explore new literature choices for reading lists, as it has been reported by many that the authors chosen for many essential reading lists are white males – there should be a move to using more female and non-binary writers to explore different perspectives.

Imogen Horrocks and Rebecca Rice-Thomas

(she/her & she/her)
  • Take an intersectional and inclusive approach to our running of the Network.
  • Prioritise sexual violence prevention on campus.
  • Advocate for sex and relationship positivity and sexual health, particularly for women and non-binary people.

Thea Leeming

(she/her)
  • Aim to create a more inclusive campus for non-binary students. Having a clear network and support system for non-binary students that deals exclusively with counsellors qualified in LGBTQ+ identifying people. Making sure that non-binary students feel represented by making sure that on-campus facilities cater to their specific needs e.g. gender-neutral toilets on campus; more uses of pronouns etc.
  • Placing a greater importance on the issue of consent. Aim to put in place a fine, and strict deadline for late/no submission of consent course at the beginning of the year. Make sure that the consent course is improved (less passive and more active learning required), and that the course is taken termly, so as not to forget the content.
  • Aiming to tackle sexism and transphobia within our student society here at York.